Wednesday, October 12, 2011

New plants

A few weekends ago Dave and I went to Louisiana Nursery to check out the selection of clearance plants. We found a great deal on a 3G red hibiscus that was 90% off! We only paid $1.80 for it! I picked a hibiscus that I could separate into two plants so I really got two hibiscus for $1.80. The plants were root bound and needed to be re-potted; now they are looking great! Here are some other plants I bought:


This is a Rabbit's Foot fern. It gets its name from the hairy foot like stems that grow from the soil. It is very unusual! Here is a close up of the "rabbit's foot".



This is an aloe but I don't know the name of it. Didn't come with a tag. Maybe David from Tropical Texana can identify it for me. He has lots of aloes and agaves.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary,
    I used to grow Rabbit's foot fern and it was totally a pleasure..until the pillbugs decided to eat all the shoots.
    Yes, that's a Gasteria...very much looking like an aloe. The species is probably Gasteria carinata, but that's just a guess. Keep inside in low humidity during the winter. It likes to dry out a LOT between waterings.
    That's a nice one! :-) David

    ReplyDelete