Thursday, July 8, 2010

Black-eyed Susans


Black-eyed Susans (Rudbeckia hirta) are one of the best plants for southern gardens. My first one was given to me by my grandmother. She has them planted all over her yard. Since my grandmother had such good luck with her Black-eyed Susans, I was expecting them to grow well in my garden too. I was not disappointed! The one plant she gave me has turned into about 10-15 plants. Here's some reasons why you should grow them too:

They hold up in well in our hot summers. Its hard to find plants that don't melt when the day time temps are in the 90's. They are also drought resistant, which means I don't have to lug the hose out and water them every day. They are a reliable perennial for Zone 8. I've had mine for several years and they keep coming back! Lastly, Black-eyed Susans reseed easily, making them good plants to share with neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment