Saturday, May 14, 2011

Monarda


This is my first time growing Monarda or Bee Balm. The variety I have is called Monarda 'Jacob Kline'(Monarda didyma)and I bought it from High Country Gardens. The main reason I picked 'Jacob Kline' is it is the most mildew resistant variety of Monarda. The red flowers are pretty too!

My only complaint is its lack of drought tolerance. I have to water this plant more than my other flowers, but I'm hoping once it develops a deep root system that it won't need as much water.

My 'Jacob Kline' Monarda is around 3 feet tall and 2 feet wide. This is the first flower it has ever produced and there are several more flower buds about to open. My dog broke off a stem and that gave me the opportunity to start cuttings. I plan on giving one plant to my parents and one plant to my grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment