Saturday, May 7, 2011

Agastache


This is Agastache or Hummingbird Mint. This variety is 'Acapulco Salmon and Pink' from High Country Gardens. My parents bought me this plant for my birthday last August. Agastache are a type of xeric perennial, meaning it doesn't need lots of water. Since I only plant drought tolerant perennials, it was the perfect addition to my garden. This plant grows around 3 feet tall and wide and needs full sun.


Agastache are hummingbird magnets. Every morning I see my two hummingbirds darting around the agastache. The flowers are mainly pink but also have smaller ornage petals.


Agastache grow in zones 5-10 and are great plants for Louisiana. They can tolerate drought and love the summer heat. They are part of the mint family, so the leaves give off a faint minty fragrance. Plus they bloom all summer...what more could you want? Go out and buy an agastache today!

No comments:

Post a Comment