Monday, January 24, 2011

Quilt the Swamp

Quilt the Swamp is an annual exhibit at BREC Bluebonnet Swamp in Baton Rouge, LA. The exhibit featured small quilts inspired by nature. Many of the quilts were sewn by locals.



This picture (below) is my favorite! I thought it was the best quilt there. I especially love the Barred Owl at the top. The Bluebonnet Swamp has plenty of Barred Owls but I haven't seen one yet. After we looked at the quilts, we walked the nature trails and I spent the whole time looking for owls. I was sure I'd spot one since the trees are without leaves.....but I didn't see any!



The Bluebonnet Swamp also has tons of snakes on display! Thankfully they are kept in glass cages and can't get out. Most of the snakes are native non-venomous snakes, but some are venomous. The snake in this picture is venomous, I think he is a rattlesnake but I can't remember. All I remember is how big is he was! He was bigger than my arm!


These are newly built wood duck houses. I'm hoping the next time I visit I see some wood ducks!


I think this turtle is a box turtle, but I'm not sure. There is small pond near the front entrance parking lot and the pond is full of these turtles!

1 comment:

  1. I believe the turtle is a red eared slider.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete