Friday, November 5, 2010

New Plants

Today I went to our local plant nursery (Louisiana Nursery) and picked up a handful of clearance plants. I saw plenty of nice pansies and snapdragons, but didn't get any. I don't care too much for annuals; I usually only buy perennials.



This is a pretty red Gaillardia or Blanket Flower, as some people call it.


David wanted to buy a hibiscus and we were surprised to see all tropicals 80% off! The nursery had tons of double hibiscus but didn't have many single hibiscus left. Finally, we found a pretty yellow hibiscus and were able to buy it for a couple dollars. I plan on repotting it in a big pot and leave it in the greenhouse until next spring.


These plants are Giant Cigar plants (Cuphea melvillea). One is for me and one is for David's mom. I gave her a Giant Cigar plant two years ago for Mother's Day and now I think she needs a new plant. I planted my plant in full sun and hopefully it will take off and bloom for the hummingbirds next spring.


This is a plant I've been wanting for a while. Its a tall growing dianthus. I think the tag said it was an Amazon Neon Cherry dianthus. The butterflies love this plant! Since they are blooming now, the nursery had tons of these. I picked one that had not bloomed yet so I can enjoy the flowers at my house.


Here is another plant I love: Shasta Daisy 'Alaska'. This is a reliable perennial that can be divided and shared with friends. It loves full sun.


Dave loves the shrimp plant (Justicia brandegeana) and it was on clearance for $1.00! It looks sickly so I'm hoping a little fertilizer will help it out!

1 comment:

  1. I like the Gailardia; it's pretty.
    Hope Mike gets better.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete