Monday, September 20, 2010

Butterflies

This morning a Monarch Butterfly was enjoying my Indigo Spires Salvia. This one salvia has brought so many new visitors to my garden. Bees, hummingbirds and butterflies love this plant. Everyone should have an Indigo Spires Salvia in their garden. All you need is one because they get big!



I love salvias! They bloom for months on end and attract butterflies and hummingbirds to your garden. Mine are able to survive with very little supplemental water. I love drought tolerant plants! The best characteristic is that salvias are perennials!

Now, there are a few types of salvias sold as annuals, but they usually set seed and come back through reseeding. There are many varieties of perennial salvias-that's what I grow in my garden.


My Bat Face Cupheas are doing so well! The bright red and purple flowers attract hummingbirds and make a statement in the garden....they are hard to miss! The Bat Face Cuphea is a drought tolerant plant, meaning that it needs very little water to survive. This is one of the top characteristics that I look for when choosing new plants. I hate dragging the hose around the garden to water plants. Now I choose only drought tolerant plants.

1 comment: