Monday, September 13, 2010

Bat faced Cuphea

Bat faced Cuphea (Cuphea llavea) has such an interesting flower! When you look at it up close, it does look like a bat's face.


I bought this plant about a month ago. Before planting, I cut it back so it could concentrate on developing a good root system. Today is the first day that it bloomed! It's a small plant now, but it will grow to 3 feet next spring.



Does anyone know the name of this catepillar? When I was taking pictures of the Cuphea, I noticed it walking past my foot. He moved fast! Hopefully it will turn into a pretty butterfly or moth.

1 comment:

  1. I had a smaller version of cuphea (cigar plant?)
    growing and blooming all winter long. And to this day I remember the strangest event centered around this plant...on a cold December morning a brown hummingbird drank from the flowers! I thought I was hallucinating. Come to find out we have a rufous hummingbird that winters here and looks for these plants.
    The caterpillar...I've seen them before but don't have clue.
    David/ Tropical Texana

    ReplyDelete