Friday, March 11, 2011

Carolina Jasmine


This is picture is from my Dad's garden. The Carolina Jasmine (Gelsemium sempervirens) blooms in early spring and puts on a show with its bright yellow flowers. In Louisiana, it is a reliable deciduous perennial. The flowers smell sweet and attract bees.

Carolina Jasmine is known by a few other names like Carolina Jessamine or Yellow Jessamine, but in Louisiana it is widely known as Carolina Jasmine.

My Dad planted this vine years ago and every year it get bigger and bigger. You can't see it from this angle, but the vine has swallowed a bluebird house! The bluebirds still manage to use the birdhouse. Since bluebirds are shy, I think they welcome the privacy that the vine gives them.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, thanks for this picture and the description, I found this plant very interesting near a restaurant of Denia in Spain and after 4 days in a pot are still smelling. I wanted to know the name in order to buy it for my garden.
    Regards,
    Jaio

    ReplyDelete